Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot
Maureen and Ray
The other day when I was with my family and friends for a Christmas Eve dinner my friend Maureen took the picture above of the two us. She posted it on Facebook and I have been overwhelmed by the more than 50 friends and acquaintances who responded. It was quite an eclectic group that included folks I had not heard from in yours.
As I again looked over the list I realized that they come from a wide variety of backgrounds and professions. I had worked with many of them on global or local projects in the past but had lost touch with them over the years. The common thread seemed be that these folks were the doers. They did not wait to lend a helping hand or to create something new and special, many are the innovators that have provided a lot of the good things we take for granted.
Thinking of them I realized these folks did not often wait for something to be fashionable to take action. Nor did they spend much time listening to people predicting their actions would fail. As always it is the risk takers who lead the way and I am fortunate to know so many of them.
The following written by Sian Richardson reminds me of so many of you, my friends. Thanks for all you do.
This Is A Lesson I Seem To Need To Learn A Few Times... No Matter What You Do In Your Life, There Will Be People — Even Close Friends Or Family — Who Will Just Not Get It.
It's a bloody hard thing to deal with — when you're doing something new or exciting in your life and it kinda feels like you're doing it all alone, and the people you hoped would be there to cheer you on aren't anywhere to be seen. Maybe they think you're reckless and stupid. Maybe they're jealous. Maybe there's some other reason you haven't even thought of...
But the thing is, no amount of you staying small or holding yourself back will benefit anyone.
Sometimes that means distancing yourself from people. Sometimes it means having the hard convos and asking people what the deal is.
It's Not Your Job To Worry About How People See You.
ps. Next week will be my last email for the year before I'm OUT for a lil break... And I have somethin' special for ya... But only if you're a part of the Standout Squad! Come join the fun over here.
If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary.
Sam Levenson said:
I am a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.
SHE SAID THERE ARE NINE TYPES OF BOYFRIENDS
1. Joe Sensitive - "After I wash the dishes, let's cuddle, okay?" Also Known As: Mr. Nice Guy, Family Man, Honey, Darling, Snugglepup Advantages: Well-behaved; irons own shirts Disadvantages: Irritatingly compassionate, wimpy
2. Old Man Grumpus - "People are stupid. The world can go to hell. Let's stay home and watch TV." Also Known As: Grumbles, Sour-Puss, Stick-in-the-Mud, Old Fogey, Jerk Advantages: Stays put; predictable Disadvantages: Pain in the ass
3. Flinchy - "I--I'm sorry for whatever it was I did." Also Known As: Trembly, Creampuff, Hey you Advantages: Jumps entertainingly when startled Disadvantages: Easily spooked; surrenders without a struggle
4. Bigfoot - "Shut yer trap, I'm thinkin'" Also Known As: Lummox, Ignoramus, Galoot, The Hulk Advantages: Can tote bales; is easily fooled Disadvantages: Can break you in half, sweats like a pig
5. Lazybones - "Zzzzzz" Also Known As: Lucky Dog, Parasite, Hobo, Bum, Sleepyhead Advantages: Well rested; easy target Disadvantages: Unlikely to fulfill your dreams
6. The Sneak - "Who, me?" Also Known As: Love Pirate, Snake, Rat, Slime, SOB Advantages: May feel pangs of guilt Disadvantages: May be having time of his life
7. Ace of Hearts - "After I wash the dishes let's make love like crazed weasels." Also Known As: The Sizzler, Handyman, Dreamboat, Casanova Advantages: Perpetually aroused Disadvantages: Perpetually aroused
8. The Dreamer - "Someday I'm going to be rich and famous. I don't know how, but--" Also Known As: Struggling Artist, Philosopher, Story Teller, Fool. Advantages: Tells good stories Disadvantages: Will turn into "Old Man Grumpus"
9. Mr. Right - "While the servants wash the dishes, let's make love like crazed weasels in my new yacht." Also Known As: Mr. Perfect, Jim Dandy Advantages: Answer to a woman's prayer
I signed up for an exercise class and was told to wear loose fitting clothing. If I HAD any loose fitting clothing, I wouldn't have signed up in the first place!
Yesterday my son came home and said, "I have good news and bad news. The good news is - I got 18 out of 20 on my driver's test."
I said, "Great! Now what's the bad news?"
He said, "They were pedestrians."
"Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It's not a day when you lounge around doing nothing. It's when you've had everything to do, and you've done it."
She said, I was very pregnant, and it was rotten luck when, several days before my due date, my husband fell from the porch roof, sprained both ankles and was restricted to crutches.
So when I went into labor and he couldn't drive, I took the wheel, stopping every time I had a contraction. Finally, we got to the hospital. I dropped him at the maternity entrance, and he hobbled off to the admitting desk, where the nurse told him to go to the emergency room.
No, it's my wife," he told her. "She's in labor."
"Well, where is she then?" the nurse asked.
"Er...she's, ah.... parking the car and bringing in the bags," he replied sheepishly.
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.
e. e. cummings
Stay well, do good work, and have fun.
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at email@example.com. Back issues are posted at http://raykiwsp.wordpress.com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.