"It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
J K Rowling
If I was going to summarize my plans for 2017 it would be “Don’t sweat the small stuff.” There is so much anxiety and anger floating around these days that I have decided the wisest course is to avoid joining the fray. It dosen’t mean I don’t care it just means I will play were I can actually do something.
Recently Marc Chernoff a copy of affirmations we should make this year. I thought like I do that you might find them helpful.
20 Powerful Affirmations We Should Say to Ourselves This Year
1.“The biggest and most complex obstacle I will ever have to overcome is my mind. If I can overcome that, I can overcome anything.”
2.“I cannot control exactly what happens in life, but I can control how I respond to it all. In my response is my greatest power.”
3.“I have to accept whatever comes my way, and the only important thing is that I meet it with the best I have to give.”
4.“I will stop focusing on how stressed I am and remember how blessed I am. Complaining won’t change my reality, but a positive attitude will.”
5.“Being positive does not mean ignoring the negative. Being positive means overcoming the negative. There is a big difference between the two.”
6.“I will not get caught up in what could’ve been or should’ve been. I will look instead at the power and possibility of what is, right now.”
7.“I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions. It’s about not letting my fear decide my future.”
8.“I will get back up. Again and again. The faster I recover from setbacks, the faster I’ll get to where I’m going in life.”
9.“My next step in the right direction does not have to be a big one.”
10.“Patience is a genuine expression of confidence, acceptance, serenity, and faith in my own ability. It’s a sign of strength. I will practice it.”
11.“When I find that I don’t have time for what matters, I will stop doing things that don’t.”
12.“I can always feel the genuine, positive power that flows from my decision to rise above the petty drama and distractions that don’t really matter anyway.”
13.“Instead of getting angry, I will find the lesson. In place of envy, I will feel admiration. In place of worry, I will take positive action. In place of doubt, I will have faith.”
14.“The longer I remain peaceful, the stronger I become. Peace on the inside leads to real, meaningful progress on the outside.”
15.“There’s nothing selfish about self-care and self-love. I can’t give what I don’t have. When I enrich my own life, I’ll be life-giving to others too.”
16.“If the grass looks greener on the other side, it’s just life’s way of reminding me to water the grass I’m standing on.”
17.“From now on I will be too busy watering my own grass to notice if yours is greener.”
18.“I will focus on making myself better, not on thinking I am better.”
19.“I will practice gratitude, even in the midst of frustration and despair, so I can better see the positive possibilities around me.” (Angel and I discuss this in more detail in the “Happiness” chapter of 1,000 Little Things Happy, Successful People Do Differently.)
20.“Happiness does not start when ‘this, that or the other’ thing is resolved. Happiness is what happens now, when I make the best of what I have.”
"It isn't where you came from, its where you're going that counts."
She said: A patient at the dental office where I was a receptionist stopped by my desk to pay her bill. She began rummaging through her purse, as so many patients did when they had a check to write.
"Do you need a pen?" I asked, offering her the use of mine.
"Yes, thank you," she replied. She took it, put it in her handbag and proceeded to pay in cash.
"Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim."
Here are some quotes from people in the US during the 1950's... Oh, how times have changed!
1) "I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a weeks groceries for $20."
2) "Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long when $5000 will only buy a used one."
3) "If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous."
4) "Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?"
5) "The Government is wanting to get its hands on everything. Pretty soon it's going to be impossible to run a family business or farm."
6) "If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store."
7) "When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 40 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage."
8) "Kids today are impossible. Those duck tail haircuts make it impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls."
9) "Also, their music drives me wild. This 'Rock Around The Clock' thing is nothing but racket."
10) "Pretty soon you won't be able to buy a good 10 cent cigar."
11) "I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas."
12) "Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the president."
13) "Do you suppose television will ever reach our part of the country?"
14) "I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now."
15) "It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where some married women are having to work to make ends meet."
16) "It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work."
17) "I'll tell you one thing. If my kid ever talks back to me, they won't be able to sit down for a week."
18) "Did you know the new church in town is allowing women to wear slacks to their service?"
19) "Next thing you know is, the government will start paying us to not grow crops."
20). "Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to congress."
21). "Why in the world would you want to send your daughter to college? Isn't she going to get married? It would be different if she could be a doctor or a lawyer."
22) "There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel."
23) "Anymore no one can afford to be sick; $35 a day in the hospital is too rich for my blood."
24) "If a few idiots want to risk their necks flying across the country that's fine, but nothing will ever replace trains."
25) "I don't know about you but if they raise the price of coffee to 15 cents, I'll just have to drink mine at home."
26). "If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a haircut, forget it. I'll have my wife learn to cut hair."
27) "We won't be going out much anymore. Our sitter informed us she wants 50 cents an hour. Kids think money grows on trees."
28) "Cars that dim their lights by sensors, automatic transmissions, and who knows what else? Pretty soon they will drive themselves."
Practice rather than preach. Make of your life an affirmation, defined by your ideals, not the negation of others. Dare to the level of your capability then go beyond to a higher level.
Stay well, do good work, and have fun.
Management is not responsible for duplicates from previous dailies. The editor is somewhat senile.
Ray’s Daily has been sent for more than fifteen years to people who want to start their day on an upbeat. If you have system overload because of our daily clutter, let me know and I will send you the information via mental telepathy. If you have not been getting our daily you can request to be added by e-mailing me at email@example.com. Back issues are posted at http://raykiwsp.wordpress.com/ currently there are more than 2000 readers from around the world.